The Complete Guide to Growing Your Blog and Building an AudienceTuesday August 15th, 2017 Z.com News, Events, Information
By: Izza Glino
Growing your blog and building an audience starts at day 0. You need a concrete strategy on how you will create your content and market each to your target audience. This post will discuss everything you need to know about getting known in the blogsphere and building a loyal community as a blogger.
Have a Blog Business Plan
It may seem as a tedious task to do, but those who have a living document covering the who, what, where, when, why and how of their blog are more likely to succeed in the end.
Because a blog business plan is more than just an ordinary document.
It includes every detail of your blog process from mission and vision to how you will make a profit blogging. This blog business plan should be reviewed and tweaked from time to time to make sure that everything you do in your blog is aligned to your plan.
Here’s how it should work:
Open a new Word document and start answering the basic questions below as your guide. You can also find free templates on Google to help you get started.
- Identify your blog’s mission. Make it clear who your blog is for and how your blog will help your audience.
- List down your goals in the next 6 months, 1 year and 3 years’ time. Make sure that each goal you write is specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound.
- Who are your target audience?
- Streamline your blog’s main topics. What are the main categories you will write about?
- What would be your postings schedule? Are you going to publish a new post every day? 3x a day or once a week?
- Create a comprehensive plan on your writing process. Write down the tasks you need to do on the given specific day of the week or month so you’ll be able to publish something new for your audience.
- What social media strategy will you use? Identify the different social media accounts you will use, your target posting schedule and target monthly reach as well.
- How do you wish to monetize your blog? Will you use ads? Affiliate links? Sponsored posts? Are you going to create content for others? If so how will you price your services? What are the things that need to get done so you can start monetizing through your blog?
Your blog business plan will essentially help you grow your blog and build an audience in a shorter period of time. Since the public exactly know who you are and what you can offer plus the fact that you shows consistency in your blog – you will surely build a tribe in no time.
Write Great and Useful Content
With all the hustle and bustle in the blog community, it’s pretty hard to get noticed. That’s why it would help to stood out among the rest by writing great and useful content.
How to do this.
- Make your blog post longer. A good 1000 – 1500 words per article will do, but if you want to go the extra mile, aim to be in the 2500 – 3000 words range. Longer blog posts create a deeper and more intimate connection to your audience. You can insert links within the post to encourage readers to click and stay longer on your site too.
- Add value. Be as selective as possible on what post you will write. Make sure that each article adds value to your audience. They should learn from your article encouraging them to share your content to others.
- Find your niche. This will ultimately help you grow your blog and build an audience. Niche refers to a focused topic that you will be writing more about. If your blog is in the topic of personal finance, you can select getting debt-free as your focused topic. Research related words and articles about debt-free you can write about. This way every time a viewer search on articles about getting debt-free, your website will be on top of the list.
- Create pillar contents. Pillar contents also known as evergreen contents are the type of articles that people are searching for. How-to posts and list articles are considered as pillar content.
Content is king. This means no matter how good the look and feel of your website is, no matter how many followers you have in your social media accounts, if your blog miss to add value on people you will soon lose your impact. Spend time writing your content.
Maximize your social media
Nowadays promoting your post in social media is crucial to online success. Social media has the ability to be a major source of traffic to your blog, especially if you know how to promote. The larger social media presence you have, the better traffic you can get back to your website.
Each social media platform is different. To get the boost of traffic you want, you need to broadcast the the right message to the right audience using the right platform.
- If you have a beauty and lifestyle blog, create a Facebook Page and Instagram account. These two social media platforms integrate with another making your life as a blogger easier. If you post any image on your Instagram account, sharing to your Facebook Page is just a click away.
- Niche website on the other hand can maximize joining same-niche Facebook Groups. Facebook Groups exist to gather like-minded individuals. If you have a personal finance blog that talk about investing in the Philippine Stock Market, you can join groups in Facebook about investment. Once approved by the Admin you can now share your blog posts to the members.
- Install social media plugins and buttons. You can easily install and activate social media plugins around your content and make it easier for your audience to share your post.
There are other tactics when it comes to social media marketing you can apply on your blog. Try and test any of the above to your site. Make sure that you record which one works and which one does not.
Learn basic SEO
Another way to grow your blog and build an audience is to apply basic search engine optimization (SEO). SEO’s main goal is to put your website and your content at the top of the search engines. It uses focused keyword, right amount of interlinking, using of attributes on photos and whole lot more of techy stuff to help you get the traffic you deserve.
You can apply basic SEO too! Below are the best practices that can help you:
- Make your paragraphs short and readable.
- Select a focused keyword and use this same keyword on your title, the first paragraph of your content, within the body of the content and lastly, towards the end.
- Make it easier for readers to find you. Consider getting your own domain with Pangalan. The shorter your URL is, the better it is for your site to get noticed.
- Use headings and sub-headings to introduce your main points.
- Avoid information overload. Keep your post concise but still informative at the same time.
- Insert links from other resources. Use this technique so your blog will also be found by the others.
Consistency matters when it comes to growing your blog and building an audience. Most of the popular blogs out there found significant increase in popularity the moment they were able to deliver relevant, quality content in a timely manner.
The following tips can help you show consistency as a blogger:
- Build a content calendar. You need to master planning and scheduling your content on a monthly basis. Aim to at least be one month advance in your blog posts so your audience known exactly when to visit your website.
- Publish related articles. Base every article you will publish on the main categories you have already set.
- Be consistent on the quality of your blog posts.
Starting a blog from scratch isn’t as easy as it seems to be. It may seem a ton of tasks involved you need to regularly commit to, but every hard work is worth it. Soon you’ll see your blog growing and your audience getting wider and wider. Follow the actionable tips above today.